Thursday, November 13, 2008

WotLK

Today was great.

I went to symposium, which was all about Ashkenazim and involved this documentary and the documentary maker talking about it, and it was all up in my heritage.

And then after class I was really productie and did all kinds of homework. Which made me feel all productive.

And then I went up to the common room and it was all nice and cleaned from maintenance, and had the extra furniture Bej borrowed from the second floor common room, and I decided I really wanted to decorate it so I brought up my art supplies and started coloring, and then EVERYONE joined in and we had a spontaneous coloring and decorating party, and I mean EVERYONE. And Je brought flavor ice for us all, except in this neck of the woods they're called otter pops. And I cannot get over the beauty of my dorm community. We were all there coloring on the floor working together to beautify our common space. And it all started from me wanting to do a bit of coloring and decorating. I love it.

And then I played in Jai's bathroom for a bit, and then Kev danced for La and Jai and I, and then by the time I got back to the ranch Mel and Meg had bought some apple cider, and THEN the three of us ended up going to the mall to wait for the midnight release of WOW WotLK, and got free pizza and soda and gum and warheads. And it was hilarious. Because not every WOW geek had a harem of three girls with our state of mind. How jealuz are you right now A. I was in LINE for the MIDNIGHT RELEASE. And Meg and I had the best conversation about how wondrous our life is here at this school in this dorm in this reality in this community. This is our life. This is what we're going to look back on for the rest of our lives. We are just this group of kids, and we all chose to go to this college but we were just placed in this dorm, and together we have formed this beautiful community were everyone is comfortable with each other and everyone always hangs out doing nothing or going on adventures but mostly just enjoying each others company, and everyone is learning here every moment of every day, both in class and just about life in general and how to exist on our own and about interpersonal relationships and the way of the world, and learning from each others perspectives since everyone has had such different experiences that all led us to this dorm and this now. And here we are, all experiencing the madness that is college, all experiencing it together, and everyone is confused and everyone doesn't quite know what they're doing with their lives and everyone is missing their home and their friends and their lovers and everyone is starting this new college stage, but we're all in that same awkward and disorienting place TOGETHER, and our collective insanity only leads us to more learning. And we're only here for four years which is pretty short if you think about it, and freshman year is only one of them and it's happening right now. Right now! Everything I do is my college memories and everyone I meet are my college friends, and when I am an old woman I will look back at THIS time in my life that I am living right now. It's a little obscene how lucky I am to be in this moment and in this stage of my existence, and how much power I have to shape this time into something incredible, and how incredible it really is. Talk about these happy golden years. Wait man, this is SO like These Happy Golden Years, how Laura goes off in the world to teach school, and she's so far away from Ma and Pa and Mary and Carrie and little Grace, and she's a mess at first but she learns so much and grows, and she has Almanzo there to take care of her, which is love and friendship and community all in one. And it's just like that little song in the book says, "Golden years are passing by, these happy golden years." Even when I was little those lines always were so poignant and got me all nostalgic for everything, since it was the last "real" book in the series and all, and I knew that my childhood was passing by, and gosh it's going to be over soon, what am I going to DO when I'm not a child anymore? And when does a person really stop being a child? Golden years ARE passing by, THESE HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS.

Wait.
Dangit.
I should go to sleep already.

No comments: