Saturday, November 15, 2008

Something in the deli aisle

Yesterday was a long and involved day.

It began at seven, since I had to be at C lot at 8:30 for my field trip to the sewage treatment plant and the dump. When Ms. Frizzle and the gang (complete with Amanda Jane, Carmen, and Florrie) went through the sewage treatment plant they must have really had magic on their side, because if I learned anything at that field trip it's that vats of raw sewage really are as unpleasant as one would imagine them to be. If not more. Ke and I concluded that our entire class is some sort of cross between The Simple Life and the Joe Schmo Show. All of our classmates are paid actors (seriously, you'd have to see our classmates to believe them. I see them every day and I still don't believe them) and field trips that involve thickened sludge and giant trash heaps (one of the girls in my class ran up onto the trash heap when we got out of the bus to look at it, and Teacher just stood there yelling WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? ARE YOU HIGH???) are just ploys by the producers to boost the ratings. And SURE maybe Wisconsin girl thought we were crazy when we were standing on the ledge above the dehydrated waste screaming I DON'T CARE IF YOU EDIT THIS OUT OF THE SHOW! WE'RE ON TO YOU! WE KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE CAMERAMEN, but I mean she's an actor anyway so who cares what she thinks of us. Really. Why else would the entire class line up to stick their face in a bin of concentrated sewage to smell it? Paid. Actors.

Then after class instead of taking my customary nap till 5 I went to buy knitting supplies with Meg and Mel. And oh my goodness, I bought the most beautiful yarn the world has ever seen. I was swooning over it like nobody's business. I love color. Love it. And then All joined us for a knitting party when we got back and we all knitted until dinner.

On the way to dinner Mel and Meg and I were walking between Ad and Sa, and since they're 6'4 and 6'5 respectively Mel said they were the parenthesis and we were the words. I liked it. Everyone here is growing increasingly and increasingly obsessed with the Blow, and none of them knew it until I introduced it. Love it. Everyone sings it all the time.

After dinner we all went and saw this Tibetan Buddhist monk speak, and he was utterly phenomenal. I want to be his friend so bad. And what I talked about was so pure and real and inspiring. So great.

ANDDDDDDDD after the monk we bought more of Jo's apple cider and Meg and Mel and Ta and I retreated to Mel and Em's room, where we had cider and chips, and then everyone else came to their room, and good times were had by all. And then we set off for Em's mod and we bonded with everyone and I ended up wandering into two other mods where other revelries were going on (once with Em and once with Mel) and I ended up meeting a bunch of great people.

And THEN everyone went back to Av's dorm and more and more people showed up and we had the best dance party EVER. So much fun. Love my life.

After the dance party was broken up I sat in the hall for a long time with Ta and Meg and Sa and it was a nice end to a very long day.

We were supposed to all wake up at 6:30 to go to Seattle to protest proposition 8, but word on the street is nobody actually ended up awake when the time came.

No comments: