Sunday, July 13, 2008

Driving Down Interstate 90 In My Big Old Pickup Truck

I'm going to be FAR AWAY next year. I am finding that information more and more disturbing by the day. I tend to live in the present like none other, so it never hit me until the past few weeks that I'm going to be hours upon hours away from everyone I love (except of course for A, not excepting her from people I love, excepting her from hours upon hours since she's only about two hours away, and I legit do not know what I would do if she was farther), and it's making me seriously discontent. When I decided to go all the way across the country I don't think I realized how far that was. GUYSSSSSS DON'T FORGET ABOUT MEEEEE. PLEASE.

If I were to drive all the way there all I would have to take is Interstate 90 and I'd be on a pretty direct path to my end location. LET'S TAKE AN IMAGINARY TRIP DOWN THAT ROAD TO SEE EVERYTHING THAT STANDS BETWEEN ME AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE IN MY LIFE!!

I'd start off on the good old familiar Mass Pike, maybe visit T and J on the way and die of jealousy a little on their convenient location.


Then I'd go through the Berkshires and be reminded of that James Taylor song, then get all misty-eyed at the significance of the whole "ten miles behind me, ten thousand more to go" thing, then feel like a goober for it.


Apparently at some point in New York I-90 looks like this. Nifty!


Next I'd follow I-90 into Pennsylvania, perhaps close enough to Lake Erie to see Bessie the fabled Lake Monster. Unfortunately I would be unable to visit the Lank Monster, since the highway isn't even in PA long enough for it to be on the map. I had to draw it in myself.


Pretty Soon I'd arrive in Ohio, where the welcome sign says there is SO MUCH TO DISCOVER! But I swear the only thing to discover in Ohio is corn. And I'm not even in Indiana or Illinois yet. I'd have to drive through Dead Man's Curve, where the road turns at about a 90 degree angle and not everyone makes it out alive...great.


Then I'd be in Indiana. I don't think there really is anything to say about that.


In Chicago I'd get to go on the Chicago Skyway, which is described as "one of many Interstate Highways that are not up to the latest Interstate standards." But I really just wonder if I'd get to go on a drawbridge. Drawbridges are cool.


Next I'd pass through Wisconsin, where I don't think there are people but I'm pretty sure there are cows. Even google images says it is a barren wasteland there.


Interstate 90 In Minnesota: "I-90 is atypical in that just across the eastern Minnesota border, the median is wide enough that farms exist between the road beds."
FARMS. ARE IN. THE MIDDLE. OF THE HIGHWAY. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WELCOME TO MINNESOTA.


This South Dakota I-90 picture reminds me of that Brautigan poem, probably due to the really rustic looking barbed wire fence. She's beautiful, but burn all the maps to your body. I'm not here of my own choosing.


I actually think Wyoming is a pretty cool state. If I met somebody from college who lived there, I'd visit them on their ranch sometime.


The best thing about Montana is that I'd get to go DIRECTLY through Big Timber. LOOK OUT DAVE HYM, HERE I COME! The worst thing about Montana is I'd have to be in it for 552 miles.


Idaho comes next, meaning I'd be almost at my destination! A thinks this is embarrassing for my Washington. I'd have to agree.


DUDE. LOOK HOW COOL I-90 IS IN BACKWOODS BIGFOOT TERRITORY WASHINGTON. HELLZ YES.


Annddd then I'd get to Seattle, putting me that much closer to college.

BUT
SPEAKING OF COLLEGE
AND CLOSENESS
IT
ISN'T
CLOSE.
TO SO MANY PEOPLE.
sdkjfghikl;fds'adrgthyjk;l'

1 comment:

Cindy said...

aww anna i adore you and your posts

and iwould TOTALLY go on that road trip to see you