Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We eat like kings and pretty things

We don't live alone like your average teenager. We don't exist on chips and chocolate and orders from McDonalds. Our munchie fairy doesn't bring us chocolate frosting and skippy peanut butter licked off fingers*, it brings hearty Italian dipping bread dipped in olive oil and parmesan cheese with oregano and hot pepper flakes and delightfully seasoned whole roasted chicken. And what can you do with a whole roasted chicken a few days later? WHY, MAKE SOUP OF COURSE! And make soup we did! Along with homemade pierogi and strawberry rhubarb pie. I swear nobody enjoys their food as much as we do, and I swear nobody puts as much effort into making such a succession of delightful and complete meals as we do. Like K and her Indian food? INCREDIBLE. And balanced! And healthy! And forking good. Get it? Forks? Food? Talk about clever!

Anyway. I think making food and buying the groceries and such is also a beautiful way to spend the summer with my intimate family. There's something downright magical about the food creation process. Ah, chemistry.

Today was a great day, even though we accidentally didn't go to the dump (DANGIT). I liked making our satisfying meal, I liked making our smoldering ember fire, and I liked finding things like toucans riding roosters and badgers talking to squirrels in it.

It kind of kills my soul that it was in all probability our last bonfire. We've had so many this summer, and now with M going away, the end of an era is upon us. Was sadder news ever spoken? I think not. Legit...this sucks.

Also, anything but work is ending in one and a half days. THAT's weird. I'm going to miss those children, but it will be nice having my days free. BUT I WON'T BE ABLE TO FILL THEM WITH HALF MY FRIENDS. GASDFHRISJKL:OIOJKL.

*ok fine except for that one time

No comments: