Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BIKING BIKING

Yesterday I was driving home from dropping of A after work and I saw an old man walking with two canes down the sidewalk wearing a large cowboy hat, a big fluffy mustache, and an unbuttoned button down denim shirt. And pants. And we made eye contact as I drove by and he smiled at me and I smiled at him and it was a beautiful moment.

Today I decided to go for a bike ride. I hadn't ridden a bike in years, probably about five, but I thought I might give it a try. I always thought I hated biking but as it turns out I was very wrong. Well I was right once, back when I hated biking, but that apparently was just a phase. Turns out these days I love biking. Who knew! I raised the seat on my old bike and started biking and it was just so much fun. I listened to my 70's music and felt like I was flying and biked down all the roads I used to bike on when I was little. The sky was beautiful and the breeze felt great and I loved that I was the power behind my transportation and how fast I could go and how much distance I could cover. Biking! It's great!

I biked past so many houses and looked into so many windows and lawns and thought a lot about life. It isn't/wasn't in my control that I live here, but here I am anyway because children end up living where their parents live, but pretty soon I will reach that age where I go off and live in a place that I choose. All the adults who live in the houses that I passed were once nineteen year old kids on bikes wondering how their lives would turn out, and then they got jobs and bought houses in the suburbs and that was their life. I'm here because my life started here and I guess my life is still starting because I'm still here. But it just really won't be long before I'm someplace else.

No comments: